Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] send-email: remove non-working support for "sendemail.smtpssl"

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 21:51:32 +0200

On Sun, Apr 11 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So let's just remove it instead of fixing the bug, clearly nobody's
>> cared enough to complain.
>
> Hmph, is that a safe assumption?  They may have just assumed that
> you did not break it and kept using plaintext without knowing?  If
> we do not give a warning when sending over an unencrypted channel in
> red flashing letters, that is more likely explanation than nobody
> caring that we saw no breakage reports, no?

Maybe, I think in either case this patch series makes senes. We were
already 11 years into a stated deprecation period of that variable, now
it's 13.

If we're going to e.g. emit some notice about it I think the parsing
simplification this series gives us makes sense, we can always add a
trivial patch on top to make it die if it sees the old variable.

I don't think that's needed, do you?