Subject: Re: Is cover letter can save changes?

From: Pratyush Yadav <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:53:39 +0530

On Tue, Oct 20 2020, fuyao wrote:

> Hi:
>    i have question about format-patch.
>
>    when use git format-patch with --cover-letter, we add information
>    in the cover letter. and then, i must send patch with -v2, the
>    information in the cover letter is lost in the v2 patch.
>
>    i found git notes can note things, but it add in patch not
>    cover letter. is some operate can do to save in cover letter.

You can try using `git branch --edit-description <branch_name>` and
write the contents of the cover letter there. Then you can use the
option `--cover-from-description` to use the branch description when
generating the cover letter.

>    and the git note record with commit, when amend it can lost note,
>    is the rewrite error?

Have you set the config `notes.rewriteRef` to your notes ref?

-- 
Regards,
Pratyush Yadav