Subject: Re: Git tedious verbosity

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 07:30:32 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It says:
>>
>>    All advice.* variables default to true, and you can tell Git that you
>>    do not need help by setting these to false:
>>
>> If there were an option to set that default to 'false' (advice.default
>> maybe?), it'd have answered the demands of the experts, I think.
>
> Well, just like newbies won't stay to be newbies forever (and that
> is why you can disable advice.frotz once you learned about frotz),
> what you call "experts" won't stay to be experts, either.  A new and
> backward incompatible way to work may be introduced and a new advice
> message to guide _everybody_ (including those who thought they were
> already experts) may have to be introduced, and turning off all
> advice.* variables, even the ones that you haven't seen, would hurt
> them.

By "experts" here, in the context of particular discussion, I meant
Linux/UNIX experts who are used to tools being silent, unless verbosity
is explicitly requested (typical --verbose,-v), or at least having a
simple way to make them silent (typical --quiet,-q).

>> So...

So in fact this has little to do with git proficiency.

-- Sergey