Subject: Re: Shawn Pearce has died

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:36:07 +0100

On Mon, Jan 29 2018, Jeff King jotted:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 04:17:32PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> They don't want any flowers sent over to them, but I wonder if we
>> couldn't make some sort of tribute to Shawn at the upcoming developer
>> meeting in Barcelona (and find some way to have remote people contribute
>> to it).
>>
>> E.g. a short video/audio of different people in the dev community
>> sharing some story about Shawn, or a written list of memories
>> contributed by and signed by various people.
>>
>> I don't know what that would look like exactly, but I think it would be
>> a good thing for his family and especially for his children when they're
>> grown to remember him by, to know that their father contributed to these
>> software projects with people all over the world, and that all these
>> people appreciated his work and him personally.
>
> I like this direction (though like you, I'm not sure exactly what it
> should look like). I'm not sure what kind of video presence GitHub will
> have at the contrib summit, but I'll see about getting some interview
> footage there.
>
> Doing something written, though, may make it easier for remote people to
> collaborate.

Since I suspect many people will want to participate in text form that
wouldn't via video, here's an idea (not mutually exclusive with the
video).

We gather text from people involved in git about Shawn. This gets added
to a git repo, we fast-export it, have it printed as hardcover in
fixed-width font, in "a format your dad made".