Subject: Re: interactive rebase results across shared histories

From: Seb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 11:25:39 -0600

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 03:12:49 +0100,
Moritz Neeb <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Seb,
> On 02/20/2016 11:58 PM, Seb wrote:
>> Hello,

>> I've recently learnt how to consolidate and clean up the master
>> branch's commit history.  I've squashed/fixuped many commits thinking
>> these would propagate to the children branches with whom it shares
>> the earlier parts of the its history.  However, this is not the case;
>> switching to the child branch still shows the non-rebased (dirty)
>> commit history from master.  Am I misunderstanding something with
>> this?

> I am not sure what you meand by "child branch". If I understand
> corretly, you have something like:

>             A---B---C topic
>            /
>       D---E---F---G master

Thanks Moritz and sorry for not adequately describing the situation.
The scenario is much simpler; imagine master has a longer history behind
the point where the topic branch started:

                A---B---C topic
               /
  *---D---E---F---G master

And we want to keep both branches separate (no desire to merge them for
now), but we realize that, say, commits D and E should be
squashed/fixup, so we do an interactive rebase.  Now, the problem is
that if I do that from the topic branch, the results are not reflected
in the master branch, even though these commits are certainly shared
with master.  It seems counterintuitive that a part of history that is
shared among branches can be independently manipulated/rewritten with
rebase.  I must be missing something...

-- 
Seb