Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-send-email: add ~/.authinfo parsing

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:12:13 -0500

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 16:57:24 -0500 Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote: 

JK> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 10:58:13AM -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
MM> I don't know about the netrc credential helper, but I guess that's
MM> another layer. The git-remote-mediawiki code is the code to call the
MM> credential C API, that in turn may (or may not) call a credential
MM> helper.
>> 
>> Yup.  But what you call "read" and "write" are, to the credential
>> helper, "write" and "read" but it's the same protocol :)  So maybe the
>> names should be changed to reflect that, e.g. "query" and "response."

JK> Is that true? As a user of the credential system, git-remote-mediawiki
JK> would want to "write" to git-credential, then "read" the response. As a
JK> helper, git-credential-netrc would want to "read" the query then
JK> "write" the response. The order is different, but the operations should
JK> be the same in both cases.

Logically they are different steps (query and response), even though the
data protocol is the same.  But it's really not a big deal, I know what
it means either way.

JK> The big difference is that mediawiki would want an additional function
JK> to open a pipe to "git credential" and operate on that, whereas the
JK> helper will be reading/writing stdio.

Yup.

Ted