Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-send-email: add ~/.authinfo parsing

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 16:08:52 -0500

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 15:59:11 -0500 Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote: 

JK> On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 03:28:52PM -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
JK> You might want to map this to "port" in .autoinfo separately if it's
JK> available.
>> 
>> That would create the following possibilities:
>> 
>> * host example.com:31337, protocol https
>> * host example.com:31337, protocol unspecified
>> * host example.com, protocol https
>> * host example.com, protocol unspecified

JK> Possibilities for .netrc, or for git? Git will always specify the
JK> protocol.

Possibilities for the netrc data.  How clever do we want to be with
taking 31337 and mapping it to the "protocol"?  My preference is to be
very simple here.

JK> What I was more wondering (and I know very little about .netrc, so this
JK> might not be a possibility at all) is a line like:

JK>   host example.com port 5001 protocol https username foo password bar

JK> To match git's representation on a token-by-token basis, you would have
JK> to either split out git's "host:port" pair, or combine the .netrc's
JK> representation to "example.com:5001".

Currently, we map both the "port" and "protocol" netrc tokens to the
credential helper protocol's "protocol".  So this will have undefined
results.  To do what you specify could be pretty simple: we could do a
preliminary scan of the tokens, looking for "host X port Y" where Y is
an integer, and rewriting the host to be "X:Y".  That would be clean and
simple, unless the user breaks it with "host x:23 port 22".  Let me know
if you agree and I'll do.

Ted