Subject: Re: Pull request for msysGit patches

From: Pat Thoyts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:15:10 +0100

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

>On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 19:10, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> git-send-email.perl
>>
>> Similar comment as is_absolute_path(), although in Perl environment I
>> suspect we can just use an existing package without adding our own.
>
>It seems to me that the code added by Erik Faye-Lund in
>33b2e81f84875bf515b4c0de830eeddfd04227dc and this new code in
>"send-email: handle Windows paths for display just like we do for
>processing" by bert could both be replaced by:
>
>    use File::Spec::Functions qw(file_name_is_absolute);
>    file_name_is_absolute($some_path);
>
>And by doing so we'd also be compatible with e.g. VMS. Can the people
>with the odd non-Unix systems maybe try this out and see if it works?
>:)

I just looked into using this function with msysGit. Unfortunately it
doesn't work as our perl is msys-compiled and doesn't recognise c:\ as
an absolute path. It's using the unix path functions.
Possibly we could use a native perl if the git perl functions were
making more use of these platform-abstracting functions. Ultimately this
is the right way to go.