Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] SubmittingPatches: move discussion of Signed-off-by above "send"

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 13:02:08 +0200

On Wed, May 12 2021, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> +=== Certify your work by adding your `Signed-off-by` trailer
>> +
>> +To improve tracking of who did what, we ask you to certify that you
>> +wrote the patch or have the right to pass it on under the same license
>> +as ours, by "signing off" your patch.  Without sign-off, we cannot
>> +accept your patches.
>
> This may be me, but I would expect the phrase to make sense without the
> comma:
>
>> we ask you to certify that you wrote the patch ... by "signing off"
>> your patch.
>
> Whatever you put inside the ... is additional information that doesn't
> negate the origina sentence.
>
> So:
>
>> To improve tracking of who did what, we ask you to certify that you
>> wrote the patch--or have the right to pass it on under the same
>> license as ours--by "signing off" your patch.
>
> Cheers.

I think these are good notes, but in this commit I'm merely moving
existing lines around in the file so that 2/3 and 3/3 make sense, so
I've left any change to the existing text out of v2 of this series.

I welcome an effort to improve the existing wording, but I think it's
better if you submit your own patch-on-top for that, I'd rather not get
bogged down in that any more than I already am :)