Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] send-email: don't needlessly abs_path() the core.hooksPath

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 07:57:37 +0200

On Tue, May 25 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> In c8243933c74 (git-send-email: Respect core.hooksPath setting,
>> 2021-03-23) we started supporting core.hooksPath in "send-email". It's
>> been reported that on Windows[1] doing this by calling abs_path()
>> results in different canonicalizations of the absolute path.
>
> I see the author of that patch CC'ed; the change in question
> explains why we switched from "the hooks directory immediately under
> $repo->repo_path()" to "ask 'rev-parse --git-path hooks'", but it
> does not say why we call abs_path() on the result.  I guess that is
> because $repo->repo_path() has always been a result of applying the
> abs_path() function to something, so it was to safeguard the callers
> that expect an absolute path coming back from hooks_path?
>
> And that makes this change dubious, especially as a band-aid for a
> breakage immediately before the final release, doesn't it?  Are we
> convinced that the callers are OK with seeing sometimes relative
> paths?  Certainly the cases the tests J6t fixed are not negatively
> affected, but is that sufficient?  To what directory is the
> configuration variable supposed to be relative to, and are we sure
> that the user will always invoke "git send-email" from that
> directory?

The one caller is git-send-email.perl is fine with it, at least on *nix,
this fix still needs testing on Windows.

The repo_path() function was introduced in c8243933c74, so it's never
been in a release, thus I think it's fine to alter its behavior.

The code here doesn't need to concern itself with what needs to be
relative to what, you run send-email in some working tree directory (or
top-level), and depending on core.hooksPath we'll either return a
relative path to the .git/hooks or an absolute one, the system()
invocation will accept either.