Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/9] t7415: remove out-dated comment about translation

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 11:46:52 +0200

On Sat, May 01 2021, Jeff King wrote:

> Since GETTEXT_POISON does not exist anymore, there is no point warning
> people about whether we should use test_i18ngrep. This is doubly
> confusing because the comment was describing why it was OK to use grep,
> but it got caught up in the mass conversion of 674ba34038 (fsck: mark
> strings for translation, 2018-11-10).
>
> Note there are other uses of test_i18ngrep in this script which are now
> obsolete; I'll save those for a mass-cleanup. My goal here was just to
> fix the confusing comment in code I'm about to refactor.

For what it's worth between [1] and [2] I'm not sure what to do about
the test_i18ngrep cleanup. I think your patch below is fine, but the
"test_i18ngrep" has mutated into a "grep with debugging", not just
something needed for GETTEXT_POISON.

So that part of your patch right now is making it less friendly for
debugging. I don't care, and think if we want that we'd be better of
scraping the trace ouput for such common cases and/or use "verbose grep
[...]" and teach the "verbose" wrapper about these common cases, but
knowing of that objection + having other outstanding things has been why
I haven't sent s/test_i18ngrep/grep/g patches.

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
2. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

> Signed-off-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t7415-submodule-names.sh | 5 ++---
>  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/t/t7415-submodule-names.sh b/t/t7415-submodule-names.sh
> index f70368bc2e..fef6561d80 100755
> --- a/t/t7415-submodule-names.sh
> +++ b/t/t7415-submodule-names.sh
> @@ -151,10 +151,9 @@ test_expect_success 'fsck detects symlinked .gitmodules file' '
>  		} | git mktree &&
>  
>  		# Check not only that we fail, but that it is due to the
> -		# symlink detector; this grep string comes from the config
> -		# variable name and will not be translated.
> +		# symlink detector
>  		test_must_fail git fsck 2>output &&
> -		test_i18ngrep gitmodulesSymlink output
> +		grep gitmodulesSymlink output
>  	)
>  '