Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v5 0/4] add -p: select individual hunk lines

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 19:59:55 +0200

On Fri, Aug 03 2018, Phillip Wood wrote:

[snip (all made sense)]

> It seems clear for your comment and Junio's that I need to improve the
> documentation, I'm not sure if that will be enough though or do we need
> to change the behavior? [I'm beginning to see why all the other programs
> I tried while writing this (tig, gitg, gitk and mercurial's version of
> add -i) don't make any attempt to stage modified lines correctly, though
> I think git should have some way of doing it.]

I think this is ready to move forward conceptually, i.e. in these two
review rounds I've been focusing on the UI this exposes, and whether
this is even a viable thing to have conceptually.

I'm convinced that it is, even though there's osme confusing edge cases
(as noted in my mail) I don't see how those could be entire avoided, a
feature like this will inherently have such edge cases.

I've avoided going deep into how the actual code itself works / is
implemented in these review rounds, figuring that given the topic it was
better to move past RFC for that type of review once we had docs.

Thanks for working on this.