Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 5/8] refs: add `committer_info` to `ref_transaction_add_update()`

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2024 20:31:42 +0100

karthik nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 13, 2024 at 11:36:50AM +0100, Karthik Nayak wrote:
>>> The `ref_transaction_add_update()` creates the `ref_update` struct. To
>>> facilitate addition of reflogs in the next commit, the function needs to
>>> accommodate setting the `committer_info` field in the struct. So modify
>>> the function to also take `committer_info` as an argument and set it
>>> accordingly.
>>
>> I was wondering a bit whether we could instead pull out a
>> `add_update_internal()` function so that we don't need to modify all
>> callers of `ref_transaction_add_update()`. Because ultimately, we don't
>> use the field anywhere except from `ref_transaction_add_reflog_update()`
>> as far as I can see.
>>
>> This is more of a thought than a strong opinion, so feel free to ignore.
>>
>
> Yes, that is a possible change, but the number of code changes are
> relatively low and I didn't think it made so much difference. Also
> because we'd now have one more function. But I don't mind doing it
> either, if anyone feels strongly about it, I'll happily make that
> change.

Yes, I agree the number of callsites isn't that large, but on the other
hand, I see various calls to this function having four `NULL`s in a row
as arguments. Personally, I think that starts to smell a bit.

Now, before you change anything. I'm not sure what Patrick was
suggesting? Would it mean we basically rename
`ref_transaction_add_update()` to `add_update_internal()` and create a
new wrapper function `ref_transaction_add_update()` that simply calls
`add_update_internal(<ARGS>..., NULL, msg)`? I don't think that's a
great solution either.

Alternively, because ref_transaction_add_update() returns the `struct
ref_update`, why not add a function `ref_update_set_committer` and call
that where we need to set the committer? I see this also will help in a
future commit where you call ref_transaction_add_update() differently
depending on reflog updates.

--
Toon