Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Feb 2023, #01; Thu, 2)

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 17:38:07 +0300

Glen Choo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Sergey!
>
> Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>> This is still marked as "probably won't merge" in the recent "what's
>>>> cooking". Could it be merged, please?
>>>
>>> I found the explanation given by Glen last time you mentioned the
>>> topic much better written than anything I would write myself, and I
>>> haven't seen any new input in the message I am responding to, so...
>>>
>>>   https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>>
>> I believe I've addressed it with this:
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>>
>> and seen no follow-up since then.
>
> Sorry for the lack of response, especially if it seemed like your
> concerns were not listened to. I did try crafting a response when it was
> first written, but it didn't end up adding anything new and valuable to
> the conversation, so I dropped it.
>
> I'll leave an updated response, but unfortunately, I am still of the
> opinion that we shouldn't merge this series.

The primary question here is: why don't allow me to get the behavior I
need, provided it has no impact on anybody else, unless they decide they
need it too? I've already performed "you need it, -- do it yourself"
dance, along with documentation and tests, so may I be rewarded by
getting this feature finally in, please?

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov