Subject: Re: [GSoC] The Final Git Dev Blog(s)

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:22:06 +0200

On Fri, Aug 20 2021, Atharva Raykar wrote:

> 2. Reflections on Working With the Git Community:
>    https://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/final-reflection
>
>    This is a blog post that I wrote mostly for myself, and other people
>    interested in contributing to Git. It covers my personal experience
>    with my time here with the many ups and downs. I also wanted to thank
>    all the people who helped and collaborated with me in these 14 weeks.

Thanks a lot for the kind words there, I'm glad I could be of help to
you an others.

Just on the comment about 10x developers (on-list regulars) v.s. 0.1x
developers (GSOC students) that you had: I think everyone realizes that
getting students to work on git isn't going to result in developers that
are instantly productive, especially with the inherent time-boxing of
the GSOC project.

On a personal note I think it's very pleasing to work with people who
are smart but just unfamiliar with the project itself, and in many cases
with tooling that some of us "graybeards" have gotten used to. It helps
to get a fresh perspective of things.

I also think that the main value of a program like GSOC is not the
patches anyone comes up with while participating in the project, but to
hopefully give what are usually young people hopefully at the the start
of a long career in software development a good experience in working
with the free software community.

I never participated in GSOC myself (it didn't exist at the time), but
my first real experience with software development was in trying to
participate in public free software projects. I'm really grateful for
the patience and mentoring I got from various people at the time, and
hope I can do my part to pay that forward. To me that outcome is much
more important than the "success" of any given GSOC project, or the
patches that result from it.