Subject: Re: Should we do something with #git-devel on Freenode?

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 01:35:21 +0200

On Fri, May 21 2021, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> Jeff King wrote:
>> Of course there's value in coordinating. Everybody _can_ hang out on
>> their favorite venues and eventually talk to each other, but it's much
>> easier if everybody agrees where to go. :)
>
> I don't think it works that way.
>
> I "everybody" agrees to move to Discord, many old-timers won't. Same
> with Gitter. And if most people were on IRC, many youngsters wouldn't
> come.
>
> There's a limit to how many chat applications you are willing juggle,
> and adding one more just to chat with git developers is something many
> people won't do.

In the case of IRC though there's many IRC-to-X gateways that allow you
to somewhat have your cake and eat it too, e.g. there's one for
discord[1].

I haven't tried it, but I use another channel that has an
irc-to-Telegram (the app) gateway[2]. It works quite well. Aside from
the Freenode v.s. Librechat question I wonder if there'd be interest in
having such a thing running for #git or #git-devel.

1. https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc
2. https://github.com/FruitieX/teleirc