Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/30] subtree: clean up, improve UX

From: =?utf-8?B?w4Z2YXIgQXJuZmrDtnLDsA==?=Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 09:55:48 +0200

On Fri, Apr 23 2021, Luke Shumaker wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 13:42:00 -0600,
> Luke Shumaker wrote:
>>                                                  I promise that
>> there's more work coming on top of it (we've discovered lots of ways
>> to break the "subtree split" algorithm, and come up with fixes for
>> most of them).
>
> Follow-up question: If in that work I changed the shebang from
> "#!/bin/sh" to "#!/usr/bin/env bash" and started using Bash arrays,
> would that be so bad?  Would that be land-able?

It's in contrib, so personally I don't care much. But e.g. on OSX that
means targeting some ancient (and going away?) version of bash + having
*BSDs needing to install bash for this etc.

Bash or not it seems to me like that argument parsing code could be much
simplified by simply declaring strings of arguments accepted for each
sub-command, and then parsing those arguments + dying on unknown ones.