Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] rev-list --disk-usage

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:04:26 +0100

On Thu, Feb 11 2021, Jeff King wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 06:15:16PM -0500, Taylor Blau wrote:
>
>> > > I kind of feel sad to have a nice write-up like this only in the
>> > > list archive.  Is there a section in our documentation set to keep
>> > > collection of such a real-life use cases?  Perhaps the examples
>> > > section of manpages is the closest thing, but it looks a bit too
>> > > narrowly scoped for the example section of "rev-list" manpage.
>> >
>> > Agreed on both counts. If this gets put into a release, I suspect Taylor
>> > would cover it in a release blog post. That is not quite the same thing
>> > as having it in the documentation, but it may provide more search engine
>> > boost than the list archive. I dunno.
>> 
>> Yeah, this is the perfect sort of thing for those blog posts.
>> 
>> But it makes sense to include some of these examples in our own
>> documentation here, too. git-rev-list(1) doesn't have an EXAMPLES
>> section, but maybe it should.
>
> I think this is the "narrowly scoped" bit from Junio's response above.
> It would be a bit weird to have an examples section for rev-list that
> only mentions this rather obscure feature.

I don't think the lack of an EXAMPLES section or the relative obscurity
of the switch should preclude us from adding useful documentation.

Yes it would feel a bit out of place, but we can always have a
sub-section of EXAMPLES, and we've got to start somewhere.

In this case I don't see why it couldn't be added to OPTIONS, we've got
some very long discussion there already, and as long as there's a clear
separation in prose from an initial brief discussion of the switch and
further prose it won't be confusing for readers, they can just page past
the details.