Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] t/t4013: add test for --diff-merges=off

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 23:52:11 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I asked because I thought you see some essential difference between two
>> tests, as you didn't suggest to add similar permutation test to the
>> original. I think this reply resolves my doubt.
>
> Yeah, I didn't explain this very well.
>

> The thing is that the way "--first-parent" interacts with other
> options that countermand "--diff-merges" (i.e. "--no-diff-merges"
> and "--diff-merges=off") needs to be highlighted with extra clarity,
> simply because "--first-parent" is different from a simple
> "combination" of "follow the first parent commit chain while
> traversing" and "--diff-merges" [*1*]

[...]

Thanks a lot for thorough explanations, Junio! I appreciate it and will
re-read them more carefully, in the morning.

For now, can we leave these patches as-is and then add additional tests
on top, please? I'm afraid that adding them now will force me to rewrite
current descriptions, as the result won't be minimal anymore, and I
feel uneasy about writing commit messages for these permuted tests
anyway.

Thanks,
-- Sergey