Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] tag: prevent recursive tags

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 11:27:56 +0100

On Wed, Mar 27 2019, Elijah Newren wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 12:56 AM Denton Liu <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Robert Dailey reported confusion on the mailing list about a recursive
>> tag which was most likely created by mistake. Jeff King noted that this
>> isn't a very common case so, most likely, creating a tag-to-a-tag is a
>> user-error.
>>
>> Prevent mistakes by erroring and providing advice on recursive tags,
>> unless "--allow-recursive-tag" is specified. Fix tests that fail as a
>> result of this change.
>
> Any chance we could use the term "nested tag" instead of "recursive tag"?

+1. "Recursive" sounded wrong to me, but I couldn't think of the
now-obvious alternative.

Some grepping around shows we use "nested submodules" fairly
consistently, and in gitrevisions(7) we say the peel syntax will
recursively peel tags (but don't call them nested).

So makes sense to refer to the object type as nested, and when we're
referring to the operation that'll iterate over that nested structure
say it'll be done "recursively".