Subject: Re: Big repository on Aix

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:52:38 +0100

On Mon, Nov 19 2018, Mgr Georg Black wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> We have source codes in many files of 20 years development. It's approx 800mb. There are many programs. Every has about 100-200 modules.
> Company has 40 developers. They all works via terminal on aix.
> At this time we have three folders for three versions. Everybody send changes to them via script blocking parallel work.
> It's possible migrate to the Git version system. We are afraid of big local copies for every developer. We have not enough space for 40 x 800MB plus history etc. Exist some less dramatic way?
> Thanks for your info.

The first thing you should do is import what you have into git. Then run
"git gc --prune=now'.

Then see how big your checked-out directory is (everything except .git)
and the history (the .git folder).

If it's say 1GB for the working tree and 2GB for the history maybe you
can just use git the simplest of modes. You'd have 3GB of data for each
developer, you have 40 so 3*40=120GB. Let's add RAID 1 to that and end
up at 50% usage, you're still below 500GB of disk space. Is that really
that big of an investment for 40 devs?

If it is there's still things you can do. E.g. shallow clones, or using
altrenates on-disk to de-dupe space. See my
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/ and
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/ for
some details. That needs to be managed very carefully least you
introduce repository corruption, but it would bring the disk space down
to something closer to 40GB for these 40 developers in this example.