Subject: Re: [RFC] Rebasing merges: a jorney to the ultimate solution(RoadClear)

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 08:57:01 +0300

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Sergey,

[...]

> But I'll stop here. Even my account how there are conceptual differences
> between the changes in merge vs non-merge commits (the non-merge commit
> *introduces* changes, the merge commit *reconciles existing* changes)
> seems to fly by without convincing you.

Good for you, but Git should keep caring about content, it should care
not about meaning. Please leave it to the user to assign meaning to
their content.

If you rather want a SCM that focuses on meaning, I'd suggest to look at
Bzr and see how it goes.

> I use rebase every day. I use the Git garden shears every week. If you do
> not trust my experience with these things, nothing will convince you. 

Unfortunately you have exactly zero experience with rebasing merges as
you've never actually rebased them till now, and it's rebasing merges
that matters in this particular discussion.

> You are just stuck with your pre-existing opinion.

I'm afraid that it's rather your huge experience with re-creating merges
that makes you stuck to your pre-existing opinion and carefully shields
you from experiencing actual paradigm shift.

-- Sergey