Subject: Bashing freelancers (was: [ANNOUNCE] Git Merge Contributors Summit, April 8th, Paris)

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:41:40 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Of course, I am hoping that all the mentors are doing GSoC not for
> money but out of love of our software and our community,

At some point of time I think it may be worth reevaluating the toxic
atmosphere against freelancers doing Git development.

There is nothing wrong with not having a fixed employment paying the
rent.  And there is nothing to be gained by going out of one's way
vilifying those who cannot afford to work for free.

Good work is worth good money.  Suggesting that people who are not able
to work for free are morally inferior is not conducive for a cooperative
work atmosphere.

I still have patches sitting in my repository that I could not bring
myself to finish for contribution after the shameful treatment of my
months of git-blame work where I was credited in passing with a wrong
name in one "What's cooking", and after I pointed out that not even my
name was correct, removed altogether.  All that in connection with
public shaming that I wanted to point out to end users that this work
required financing if it were to continue.

-- 
David Kastrup