Subject: Re: Is there something like a blamed diff?

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:02:31 +0100

Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> writes:

> David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> When comparing two branches, decorating the flat diff with the
>> respectively responsible commits seems like it would be nice to do/have
>> (the blame on the identical parts, in contrast, is not really
>> interesting).  Is there any tool that provides something like that?
>
> This seems to come up every year or so:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/110369/focus=110383

Nice.  That one could likely be sped up by calling git-blame just once
on each file with multiple -L options.

Though actually with the current implementation of git-blame you are
likely faster for a large number of differences by doing each region
separately anyway since then the cost for digging through the history is
obviously O(n) for n consecutive runs on n chunks while the
administrative overhead for several chunks in a single run is O(n^2) at
the moment.

-- 
David Kastrup