Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/18] remote-bzr: massive changes

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:17:14 -0500

On Wed, 01 May 2013 11:38:47 -0700 Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote: 

JCH> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
>> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> 
>>>>> So let's go ahead and apply these directly on top of 'master', once
>>>>> we hear from Emacs folks and they are happy with it.  I'll queue it
>>>>> on 'pu' so that I do not have to go back to the list archive when it
>>>>> happens.
>>>> 
>>>> I already heard that everything seems to be working correctly, except
>>>> one feature, the biggest change, which I screwed up with a one-liner
>>>> commit. That's why I added a test. Anyway, I've fixed it in my github
>>>> branch and in this patch series, and I've told them to try the fix.
>>> 
>>> Let us know when they make progress on that front.
>>> 
>>> If Emacs decides to switch to Git and decides to use this version of
>>> remote-bzr for their conversion, or at least a nontrivial group of
>>> developers favor to do so, without seeing concrete technical points
>>> that say remote-bzr is not yet ready (e.g. "the conversion is still
>>> wrong and X, Y and Z needs to be fixed"), that would be a very
>>> welcome solid vote of confidence in favor of us going ahead with
>>> this.
>> 
>> Seems unlikely for political reasons (isn't it always for GNU?), since
>> RMS is heavily involved in the decision.

JCH> I am very aware of that discussion (and the original one when they
JCH> decided to use bzr).  That is exactly why I said "at least ... favor
JCH> to do so".

FYI, in case you're not aware, there's a pretty strong feeling on
emacs-devel that the switch to Git will happen and RMS is not opposed.

I don't know if they'll use remote-bzr, though.  It's more likely
they'll use one of the already-existing mirrors and sync it up, based on
the feedback so far.  It's a good time to bring remote-bzr up on
emacs-devel if you want it to be considered.

HTH
Ted