Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-send-email: add ~/.authinfo parsing

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:53:56 -0500

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:11:17 +0100 Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> wrote: 

MM> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I see a lot of rerolls on the credential helper front, but is there
>> anybody working on hooking send-email to the credential framework?

MM> Not answering the question, but git-remote-mediawiki supports the
MM> credential framework. It is written in perl, and the credential support
MM> is rather cleanly written and doesn't have dependencies on the wiki
MM> part, so the way to go for send-email is probably to libify the
MM> credential support in git-remote-mediawiki, and to use it in send-email.

I looked and that's indeed very useful.  If it's put in a library, I'd
use credential_read() and credential_write() in my netrc credential
helper.  But I would formalize it a little more about the token names
and output, and I wouldn't necessarily die() on error.  Maybe this can
be merged with the netrc credential helper's
read_credential_data_from_stdin() and print_credential_data()?

Let me know if you'd like me to libify this...  I'm happy to leave it to
Matthieu or Michal, or anyone else interested.

Ted