Subject: Re: [PATCH] Don't add To: recipients to the Cc: header

From: Sergei Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:29:11 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergei Organov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> GNU folks even managed to insert text that allows a completely empty
>>> line (not a line with a single SP on it) to express a context line
>>> that is empty, which means...
>>
>> Really? That's a surprise for me. What I can tell for sure, Emacs' diff
>> mode doesn't support this, as it does interpret plain empty line as a
>> hunk delimiter, at least in Emacs 22.1.
>
> See b507b465f7831612b9d9fc643e3e5218b64e5bfa (git-apply: prepare for
> upcoming GNU diff -u format change).  Around the time that eventually
> lead to this commit (mid October 2006) there was a discussion on this
> mailing list on the issue, too.  I do not doubt you checked with your
> version of Emacs diff mode that it does not support this yet, but it's
> only prudent to assume that a new version someday will.

Thanks, -- it was interesting to read corresponding discussions.

Due to this change in GNU diff, it seems that empty line is indeed a
wrong choice for syntactic hunk separator :( I wonder if there is a
common way to say "here the patch ends" then[1]? My best guess is that

===

will do.

[1] I've checked bzr and hg. Bzr uses empty line for that (followed by
"# Begin bundle" line) in their "merge directive" format. Not
Emacs-friendly either :( Hg's "export" just EOFs after the patch.

-- 
Sergei.