Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/git-tag.txt: Document how to backdate tags

From: Michael Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:53:43 -0400

Added a new section beneath "On Automatic following" called "On
Backdating Tags".  This includes an explanation of when to use this
method, a brief explanation of the kind of date that can be used in
GIT_AUTHOR_DATE, and an example invocation of git-tag using a custom
setting of GIT_AUTHOR_DATE.

Signed-off-by: Michael W. Olson <[email-masked]>
---

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 01:51:30PM -0400, Michael Olson wrote:
>
>> +On Backdating Tags
>> +~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> +
>> +If you have imported some changes from another VCS and would like
>> +to add tags for major releases of you work, it is useful to be able
>
> s/you/your/

Fixed; thanks.

 Documentation/git-tag.txt |   21 +++++++++++++++++++++
 1 files changed, 21 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-tag.txt b/Documentation/git-tag.txt
index 990ae4f..5cc9da4 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-tag.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-tag.txt
@@ -214,6 +214,27 @@ having tracking branches.  Again, the heuristic to automatically
 follow such tags is a good thing.

+On Backdating Tags
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+
+If you have imported some changes from another VCS and would like
+to add tags for major releases of your work, it is useful to be
+able to specify the date to embed inside of the tag object.  The
+data in the tag object affects, for example, the ordering of tags
+in the gitweb interface.
+
+To set the date used in future tag objects, set the environment
+variable GIT_AUTHOR_DATE to one or more of the date and time.  The
+date and time can be specified in a number of ways; the most common
+is "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM".
+
+An example follows.
+
+------------
+$ GIT_AUTHOR_DATE="2006-10-02 10:31" git tag -s v1.0.1
+------------
+
+
 Author
 ------
 Written by Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]>,
-- 
1.5.3.4