Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Alexandre Julliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:34:27 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would rather say "use 'git branch' to make sure if you are
> ready to merge".  Who teaches not to use "git pull"?

We do that for Wine. The problem is that we recommend using git-rebase
to make it easier for occasional developers to keep a clean history,
and rebase and pull interfere badly.

The result is that we recommend always using fetch+rebase to keep up
to date, but this is confusing many people too, because git-fetch
appears to do a lot of work yet leaves the working tree completely
unchanged, and git-rebase doesn't do anything (since in most cases
they don't have commits to rebase) but has an apparently magical
side-effect of updating the working tree.

Ideally it should be possible to have git-rebase do the right thing
even if the branch has been merged into; then we could tell people to
always use git-pull, and when they get confused by seeing merges in
their history have them do a git-rebase to clean things up.

-- 
Alexandre Julliard