Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/4] docs: improve formatting in git-send-email documentation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2025 06:28:03 -0700

Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> -When `--compose` is used, git send-email will use the From, To, Cc, Bcc,
>>> -Subject, Reply-To, and In-Reply-To headers specified in the message. If
>>> -the body of the message (what you type after the headers and a blank
>>> -line) only contains blank (or Git: prefixed) lines, the summary won't be
>>> +When `--compose` is used, `git send-email` will use the 'From', 'To', 'Cc',
>>> +'Bcc', 'Subject', 'Reply-To', and 'In-Reply-To' headers specified in the
>>> +message. If the body of the message (what you type after the headers and a
>>> +blank line) only contains blank (or Git: prefixed) lines, the summary won't be
>> 
>> Shouldn't 'Git:' in "or Git: prefixed" be marked-up somehow as well?
>> 
>> As these mail header names are all literal parts, shouldn't ehy be
>> marked up like `To`, `Cc`, etc.?
>
> I think its ok to let these remain in '', and deviate from the rules a bit.
> If backticks are used, it will be a mess when rendered on the website.

I do not think I agree; bending the rule only because the density of
literals in a single paragraph is too heavy does not sound like a
good application of a rule---it is hard to justify such an
exception.

>>> -    by 'c_rehash', or a single file containing one or more PEM format
>>> -    certificates concatenated together: see verify(1) -CAfile and
>>> -    -CApath for more information on these). Set it to an empty string
>>> +    by `c_rehash`, or a single file containing one or more PEM format
>>> +    certificates concatenated together). Set it to an empty string
>> 
>> What is this change about?  grammatical errors?  non existent links?
>> cpan links?  It does not look any of these.
>
> Non existing links. Checkout the website.

But I do not see any link in ...

>>> -    by 'c_rehash', or a single file containing one or more PEM format
>>> -    certificates concatenated together: see verify(1) -CAfile and
>>> -    -CApath for more information on these). Set it to an empty string

... the text that was removed.  The reference to verify(1) is a
command in the OpenSSL suite, right?