Subject: Re: [PATCH] test-tool run-command: remove dead "testsuite" code

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 14:05:32 +0200

On Thu, Sep 09 2021, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi Junio,
>
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > Remove the "test-tool run-command testsuite" sub-sub-command, it has
>> > not been used since 4c2c38e800f (ci: modification of main.yml to use
>> > cmake for vs-build job, 2020-06-26), see also the earlier
>> > 6081d3898fe (ci: retire the Azure Pipelines definition, 2020-04-11)
>> > for another phasing out of the command.
>>
>> I'll leave this patch hanging in the list archive until I hear from
>> somebody from Azure camp say that they do not need it anymore and
>> they do not plan to use it in the future.  Of course, if somebody
>> else from outside the Windows circle is using it or plans to use it
>> in a near future, they can raise their voice heard while we are
>> waiting for such an Ack.
>
> As I mentioned, I would love for this to stay.
>
> The reason is that there is a long-running ticket about polishing
> BusyBox-w32, polishing Git for Windows' support for BusyBox, and then
> shipping a MinGit [*1*] version _without_ Bash and _without_ Perl.
> Obviously, I would want to verify that it works as intended, and that's
> where this `testsuite` command would come in (we already bundle the test
> artifacts in our CI runs, so `test-tool.exe` would be available).
>
> Ciao,
> Dscho
>
> Footnote *1*: MinGit is a subset of Git for Windows, intended to be
> bundled by 3rd-party applications that do not require interactive Git
> usage, optimized for a small disk foot print. For more details, see
> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/MinGit

I'm fine with it staying, I have some cooking serieses where I'll submit
some tree-wide fixes that might touch this code then (e.g. general
*_INIT pattern improvements).

I did find the "without bash and without Perl" part of your above
confusing, most of what this program does is a re-implementation of GNU
make and t/aggregate-results.sh, and indeed your be5d88e1128 (test-tool
run-command: learn to run (parts of) the testsuite, 2019-10-04) says as
much, and that makes sense for the reasons stated in your be5d88e1128.