Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/25] Support reftable ref backend for Git

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 11:08:14 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17 2021, Han-Wen Nienhuys via GitGitGadget wrote:

> This continues the work in https://github.com/git/git/pull/847, which the
> gitgitgadget erroneously closed.
>
> Changes relative to last series (version 20 Jul 2021, tip: 4a5891f )
>
>  * fix HTTP serving
>  * fix t1501 (use absolute paths.)
>  * fix git-new-workdir
>  * fixes for FreeBSD (thanks, [email-masked]!)
>

What's the overall status of this topic vis-a-vis whether it's being
proposed to be integrated or is in more RFC form?

Since we discussed the non-working GIT_TEST_REFTABLE=true in [1] & [2]
there's been fixes to the REFFILES for the tests which has already
landed as c9780bb2ca8 (Merge branch 'hn/prep-tests-for-reftable',
2021-07-13).

But e.g. running t1410-reflog.sh reveals an assert failure() in this
library's own code:

    git: reftable/record.c:1075: reftable_record_copy_from: Assertion
    `src->ops->type == rec->ops->type' failed.

(A *lot* of things in the test suite still fail, I didn't look in any
detail. Just highlighting that it's not just remaining failures due to
hardcoding of .git/refs/*).

I took your reply in [2] to mean that you were on board with the plan I
proposed in [1], but aside from the limited REFFILES fixes the structure
of what's here seems relatively unchanged.

So is this series still considered RFC-esque, or what's the plan to move
this forward at this point?

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]
2. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]