Subject: Re: [PATCH] multimail: stop shipping a copy

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:04:52 +0200

On Thu, Jun 10 2021, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
>
> The multimail project is developed independently and has its own project
> page. Traditionally, we shipped a copy in contrib/.
>
> However, such a copy is prone to become stale, and users are much better
> served to be directed to the actual project instead.

Let's CC its maintainer / other people who've actively contributed to
it. I've taken the liberty to do that.

It seems to me that the state is that we're on the 1.5.0 release, and
upstream hasn't cut a new release. The upstream maintainer(s) are active
contributors to git, so the risk of this becoming stale seems low.

Having written a system in the past that made use of git-multimail.py
(and sourced it from git.git's copy) I'd think a better direction would
be to keep this and modify githooks(5) to actively recommend it over the
older and less featureful post-receive-email script.

Sure, people can also just get it from github, but to the extent that we
ship any sample/default hooks at all let's start with the one that we'd
recommend using against in favor of git_multimail.py for anything new.