Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/7] making log --first-parent imply -m

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 23:55:19 +0300

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 12:42:45PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> As a minimum patch, I think it is OK to have just 'all' and 'none'
>> (not even c or cc, let alone the one with ultra-long name whose
>> effect is mystery) before we let the result graduate to 'master'.
>> Others can be added on top, as the primary focus of Peff's series is
>> to make sure "-m" can be countermanded, for which being able to say
>> "no" is sufficient, and the primary reason why we are further
>> futzing with the series with this addition is to leave the door open
>> for later additions of different "modes" in which how
>> "--diff-merges" option can operate (iow, Peff's was merely on/off,
>> but you are making sure others such as <num> can be added over
>> time).
>
> I like that suggestion very much. It solves the "optional arguments are
> evil" problem without having to worry about the other bits.

So do I,  will do in a few minutes.

I only don't like --diff-merges=none (even though it sounds great for
--diff-parents=none) and used --diff-merges=off instead. It's not a
strong feeling though, and I'm fine with whatever we decide.

Thanks,
-- Sergey