Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/3] Makefile: add Perl runtime prefix support

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 23:16:08 +0100

On Mon, Jan 08 2018, Dan Jacques jotted:

> On 2018-01-08 20:27, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
>> > Maybe we covered this in previous submissions, but refresh my memory,
>> > why is the *_PERL define still needed? Reading this explanation doesn't
>> > make sense to me, but I'm probably missing something.
>>
>> If the reason is to accommodate Windows, I think it'd make more sense to
>> change the way Git for Windows handles this, and use the same relative
>> paths (if possible, that is, see the GITPERLLIB problems I mentioned
>> elsewhere and which necessitated
>> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/commit/3b2f716bd8).
>> (...)
>> What do you think? Should we just fold the RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL handling
>> into RUNTIME_PREFIX and be done with that part?
>> (...)
>> As I mentioned in the mail I just finished and sent (I started it hours
>> ago, but then got busy with other things while the builds were running): I
>> am totally cool with changing this on Windows, too. Should simplify
>> things, right?
>
> No objections here. I see it as adding slightly more risk to this patch's
> potential impact on Windows builds, but if Git-for-Windows is okay with that,
> I'll go ahead and fold RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL into RUNTIME_PREFIX for
> simplicity's sake.
>
> I'll add a "NO_RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL" flag as per avarab@'s suggestion as a
> potential mitigation if a problem does end up arising in Windows builds,
> with a note that NO_RUNTIME_PREFIX_PERL can be deleted if everything seems
> to be working. What do you think?

To be clear, I meant that if it's determined by you/others that an
opt-out on Windows is needed I think it makes sense to make it a NO_*
flag, but if there's a solution where we can just turn it on for
everything then ideally we'd just have RUNTIME_PREFIX=YesPlease.