Subject: Re: "git grep" parallelism question

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:04:10 +0200

John Keeping <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 07:35:01PM +0530, Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
>> On a related note, one place that IO parallelism can provide massive
>> benefits is in executing shell scripts.  Accordingly, I always use the
>> following commands to compile and test git respectively:
>> 
>>     make -j 8 CFLAGS="-g -O0 -Wall"
>>     make -j 8 DEFAULT_TEST_TARGET=prove GIT_PROVE_OPTS="-j 16" test
>> 
>> i.e. always use 8 threads when the task is known to be CPU intensive,
>> and always use 16 threads when the task is known to be IO intensive.
>
> On this tangent, I recently added a TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY line to my
> config.mak which points into a tmpfs mount.  Keeping all of the test
> repositories in RAM makes the tests significantly faster for me and
> works nicely when you have the patches in jk/test-output (without those
> patches the individual tests work but the reporting of aggregate results
> doesn't).

But that's been possible for quite some time now, using --root, or am I
missing something?

(Not that the fix as such is a bad idea, but other readers might not
want to wait for it to hit master.)

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch