Subject: sneakernet everyday recommendations?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:33:06 +0800

Say, on a sneakernet what would you use for
A>B A<B A>B... updating? git-commit and git-bundle and git-merge?

You see I have the two computers, that I use on alternating days, a
sort of redundancy strategy.

Normally if I change my .bashrc or /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/bla, etc. I just
cpio -o it to a CF card, the common sneakernet junction between my two
systems that are never powered up at the same time. And then cpio -i
it to the other system the following day.

To use git instead, On each computer I shall have my shutdown script
ask me about a commit, and my boot script ask me about a merge.

To track metadata, I will employ etckeeper.

I don't want to track the entire machines, just 100 or so files, which
I have git-added.

(Hmmm, also copying /var/cache/debconf/config.dat and
/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates to the CF card
should be enough to complete my minimal restoreability strategy
in contrast to the many more bulkier 'system snapshot' solutions out there).