Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 00/28] reftable library

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 09:45:29 +0200

On Mon, Apr 19 2021, Han-Wen Nienhuys via GitGitGadget wrote:

> The commits up to "hash.h: provide constants for the hash IDs" should be
> good to merge to 'next'.

With how Junio queues things up perhaps submitting this as another
"prep" series would be good, to reduce future reviewer fatigue,
i.e. anything we can make land on master makes re-rolls that much
smaller.

> There are several test fixups, but I've put them in another series because
> GGG enforces max 30 commits.

I left a bunch of comments on the test prep series now. Probably good to
have it split up regardless of GGG limits.

Re the comments I left on the test series. I'm very happy to see the
start of addressing the "it must be tested" concerns I had in
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

But running the test suite with GIT_TEST_REFTABLE=true still yields a
wall of failed tests. I tested with a merger of this and
pr-git-1008/hanwen/reffiles-v1, i.e. what's on "seen" currently.

I don't see the point of having re-rolls of this topic while the test
changes topic it's based on hasn't finished
marking/splitting/refactoring the various tests that do and don't depend
on the file backend.

At least when I review it I'm just left with going in circles digging
into one of those failing test, figuring out if it's really
refs/files-backend.c specific or not etc., and as long as we can't turn
on GIT_TEST_REFTABLE=true in CI as part of this series I don't see a
path to making it advance to next->master.

> Due to using uncompress2, this build fails on the Linux32 builder; what is
> the magic incantation to run autoconf?

Doesn't this just need a NO_UNCOMPRESS2 for Linux32 in ci/lib.sh? See
the lines just below that for e.g. NO_REGEX for another CI target.