Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/7] making log --first-parent imply -m

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 01:06:51 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 11:55:19PM +0300, Sergey Organov wrote:
>>
>>> I only don't like --diff-merges=none (even though it sounds great for
>>> --diff-parents=none) and used --diff-merges=off instead. It's not a
>>> strong feeling though, and I'm fine with whatever we decide.
>>
>> I think that is fine. I took "none" to be "diff against none of the
>> parents", which is the opposite of "all". But "off" conveys that, too.
>
> For now, "off" is OK, but then we'll regret when "all" comes,
> because "off" would not exactly sit opposite to "all".

IMHO, "off" does not need to be opposite for "all", as it suppresses
diff output altogether. I read --diff-merge=off as "turn /off/ diff
output for merge commits".

Besides, "all", that I don't like either, is among "c" and "cc", all 3
being different versions of diffs against all the parents, no?

> On the other hand, "none" would: Compare with all parents? Compare
> with none of the parents?

I think "none" would have been appropriate for --diff-parents indeed,
but not for --diff-merges.

Thanks,
-- Sergey