Subject: Re: Feature request: Allow to update commit ID in messages when rebasing

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 22:56:01 +0200

On Wed, Apr 17 2019, Giuseppe Crinò wrote:

> The feature I'm asking is to add an extra-step during rebasing,
> checking whether there's a reference to a commit that's not going to
> be included in history and asks the user whether the heuristics is
> correct and if she wants to update those references.
>
> Scenario: it can happen for a commit message to contain the ID of an
> ancestor commit. A typical example is a commit with the message
> "revert 01a9fe8". If 01a9fe8 and the commit that reverts it are
> involved in a rebase the message "revert 01a9fe8" is no longer valid
> -- the old 01a9fe8 has now a different hash. This will most likely be
> ignored by the person who's rebasing but will let the other people
> reading history confused.

This would be useful. Done properly we'd need some machinery/command to
extract the commit id parts from the free-text of the commit
message. That would be useful for other parts of git, e.g. as discussed
here:
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/