Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2018, #02; Sat, 13)

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 17:02:21 +0200

On Fri, Oct 12 2018, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * ab/gc-doc-update (2018-10-11) 1 commit
>  - gc doc: mention the commit-graph in the intro
>
>  The documentation of "git gc" has been updated to mention that it
>  is no longer limited to "pruning away crufts" but also updates
>  ancillary files like commit-graph as a part of repository
>  optimization.
>
>  Waiting for reactions.
>  cf. <[email-masked]>
>  The author seems to feel that this might be controversial.

Probably shouldn't have mentioned that. SZEDER I think had more issues
with the "that's not GC" parts of what git-gc is doing, so I'll let him
chime in. I'm working on a more general update to gc.c which might bring
it more in the "not really GC anymore" direction.

But this patch is just describing the status quo, so I think it should
be uncontroversial to merge it, or at least we can have the discussion
about what we should do in a different venue than a doc fixup for
accurately describing what we're doing now.

Another topic: As noted in <[email-masked]> and
this follow-up
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/ it
would be great if you could pick up the "gc: remove redundant check for
gc_auto_threshold" patch. A small change that makes later refactoring a
tiny bit smaller and easier to understand.