Subject: Re: [RFC] Rebasing merges: a jorney to the ultimate solution(RoadClear)

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 08:35:22 +0300

Hi Igor,

Igor Djordjevic <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Now, not to get misinterpreted to pick sides in "(re)create" vs 
> "rebase" merge commit discussion, I just think these two (should) have 
> a different purpose, and actually having both inside interactive rebase 
> is what we should be aiming for.

Yes, if the user has an existing merge that he intends to throw away by
re-merging from scratch, he should be given a way to do it during
history editing session, no argues.

What I argue against is that this mode of operation is the default one,
let alone the only one.

> And that`s what I think is important to understand before any further 
> discussion - _(re)creating_ existing merge commits is not the same as 
> _rebasing_ them, even though the former can sometimes be used to 
> achieve the latter.

Yes, indeed. Sometimes creating new merge instead of original does the
job of rebasing the original, only it does it by pure accident.

-- Sergey