Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb(1) Fixed English issues

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:46:25 +0100

D Waitzman <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is a trivial patch to correct the english in the man page.  Ben Walton suggested an additional english fix which I have added and squashed with my change.  And then I added it again when he pointed out I missed something in his original email.
>
> --
>
> Fixed improper use of "it's" when it should be "its".
> Added missing "the"; noted by Ben Walton [email-masked]
>
>     Signed-off-by: David Waitzman <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/gitweb.txt |    4 ++--
>  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/Documentation/gitweb.txt b/Documentation/gitweb.txt
> index 605a085..168e8bf 100644
[snip patch]

Note that the correct way to put commentary in the patch mail that does
not go into the commit message is putting it after the --- marker.
Also, we write commit messages in the imperative.  The above should
probably look roughly like

  Subject: Documentation/gitweb: trivial English fixes

  Change "it's" to "its" where a possessive is intended.

  Also add two missing "the" that were noticed by Ben Walton
  <[email-masked]>.

  Signed-off-by: David Waitzman <[email-masked]>
  ---
  This is a trivial patch to correct the english in the man page.  Ben
  Walton suggested an additional english fix which I have added and
  squashed with my change.  And then I added it again when he pointed
  out I missed something in his original email.

   Documentation/gitweb.txt |    4 ++--
   1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

  diff --git a/Documentation/gitweb.txt b/Documentation/gitweb.txt
  index 605a085..168e8bf 100644

Note that I added "Subject:" here to make it an inline patch (though you
obviously need to remove my extra formatting indent).  If there's no
Subject pseudoheader, the patch gets the subject of your email, and
similarly for From and author.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch