Subject: Re: Warning from AV software about kill.exe

From: Pat Thoyts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:19:29 +0000

Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> writes:

>Erik Blake <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I'm running git under Win7 64. As I selected "Repository|Visualize all
>> branch history" in the git gui, my AV software (Trustport) trapped the
>> bin\kill.exe program for "trying to modify system global settings
>> (time, timezone, registry quota, etc.)"
>>
>> Does anyone know the details of this process and what it's function
>> is? First time I've seen it, though I'm a relatively new user.
>
>'kill' is a standard unix utility that sends signals to processes, in
>particular signals that cause the processes to exit or be killed
>forcibly by the kernel, hence the name.  (I don't know how the windows
>equivalent works under the hood, but presumably it's something similar.)
>
>git-gui and gitk use kill to terminate background worker processes that
>are no longer needed because you closed the window their output would
>have been displayed in, etc.

You might try replacing the command in the tcl scripts with 'exec
taskkill /f /pid $pid' and see if that avoids the error. taskkill is
present on XP and above as part of the OS distribution so shouldn't
suffer any AV complaints.

-- 
Pat Thoyts                            http://www.patthoyts.tk/
PGP fingerprint 2C 6E 98 07 2C 59 C8 97  10 CE 11 E6 04 E0 B9 DD