Subject: Re: Summer of Code project ideas

From: Pat Thoyts <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 01:11:38 +0000

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

>Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Ideas
>> 
>> If you have any ideas, please add them to the page!
>
>A few project ideas I am not sure if they are feasible for GSoC:
>
>* merging-in support for caching in gitweb, and benchmarking/profiling
>  gitweb in high load situation
>
>  J.H., you would probably want gitweb [output] caching to be merged-in
>  sooner that the end of Google Summer of Code 2011, isn't it?
>
>* embedding graphical diff and graphical merge tool in git-gui, e.g. as
>  "git gui diff".  I think that we can use xxdiff; the license is 
>  compatibile.
>
>  Pat and Shawn, is it something worth doing?  Does it look like a good
>  project for GSoC2011, or is it too small of a project for this?  Would
>  we be able to find mentor for this idea?

There is also tkdiff for stealing from. I'm not sure about the worth -
there are lots of free merge tools around. But if someone wants to do
that then fine.

>* splitting gitk, common library (Tcl/Tk bindings) for gitk and git-gui
>
>  Pat and Paul, do you think it is right scope, or is it too large project
>  to put as an GSoC idea?

It shouldn't be too large. You are likely looking at doing Git.pm as a
Tcl package (without looking in much detail). Testing that gitk and
git-gui didn't get broken will probably be tedious. So adding some test
suite to each could help. The Tcl test package is quite capable of being
used to test Tk apps provided some tests get written.

-- 
Pat Thoyts                            http://www.patthoyts.tk/
PGP fingerprint 2C 6E 98 07 2C 59 C8 97  10 CE 11 E6 04 E0 B9 DD