Subject: Re: [VOTE] git versus mercurial (for DragonflyBSD)

From: Marcin Kasperski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:25:27 +0100

>> > How many perl gurus have skipped writing
>> > stuff for hg because it's a "python-or-bust" thing?
>> 
>> How many Python people decided to write an extension for hg, because it can 
>> very nicely be accessed via Python? 
>
> And wouldn't they contribute at all, if there would be hg bindings for
> other programming languages, would they?

Are really programming languages that important? If I find a tool
which is useful and has features I need, and while using it I find
some drawback, and I am able to find how could I work on it, I can
pick up enough of the language it is written in. I am not a "guru"
if I can't. 

Main showstoppers in this area are not the programming languages, but
lack of documentation, miserable APIs, or lack of process. Or ... the
fact that the tool is so good that it does not really need extensions.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Marcin Kasperski   | If we are to be successful, we must still have
| http://mekk.waw.pl |    the courage to put our faith in people as
|                    |  opposed to a process. (Booch,Martin,Newkirk)
----------------------------------------------------------------------