Subject: Re: [PATCH] cocci: do not directly access the .d_type member in struct dirent

From: Collin Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2025 12:45:26 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This change looks good to me. Atleast it will catch code that fails to
>> build on niche platforms, even if it cannot validate existing backup
>> code.
>
> I do not think it is necessarily a good idea to allow building a
> binary that is known to silently misbehave, though.

Yes, but off the top of my head I cannot think of a great way to check
that DTYPE has backup code for systems that do not have d_type.

At least in the case of 'git diff --no-index' the tests will fail if we
do not properly detect a file is a directory. So at least we will likely
know upon running 'make test'. Still that requires manual investigation,
so not perfect, though...

>> Your fix for the 'git diff --no-index' looks correct [1]. I'll build libcurl
>> on an AIX machine I have access to in order to test (not an
>> administrator on it).
>
> I do not think you need libcurl if you only want to test the diff
> --no-index change, but anyway, thanks.

I assumed that it was a hard dependency and could not be disabled. Am I
wrong?

Anyways, it was quick so no worries. I posted my findings [1].

Collin

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/T/#me995c8f49943f0606c236e8e5e9ea8163602e65b