Subject: Re: [Bug report] Git incorrectly selects language in macos

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 23:57:22 +0200

On Fri, Sep 14 2018, Niko Dzhus wrote:

> It doesn't use English when other language is available as a secondary language.
>
> Reproducing:
>
> 1. Open "Language & Region" in macos settings
> 2. In "Preferred languages" box, set English as a primary language.
> 3. Add another language, that git is translated to, as a secondary
> language, for example, French or German.
> 4. Run any git command - git will use the secondary language, instead
> of English.
>
> When the secondary language is removed, then git starts using English again.
>
> I have git 2.19.0, installed from brew, and my OS is macOS 10.13.6 .

What's the output of these two commands for you:

 1. locale
 2. env | grep -e LC -e LANG

We don't do any such magic ourselves, so whatever this is is down to how
i18n in general works on your system, do you have any other translated
command-line program that works differently?

I suspect there's some DWYM logic here that always treats English as a
secondary language.

Do you also e.g. get the same results if you select say Swedish as a
primary language and German as a secondary? I.e. a Git in German, as
opposed to Swedish?