Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.17.0-rc1

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 20:42:27 +0200

On Sun, Mar 25 2018, Derrick Stolee wrote:

> On 3/23/2018 1:59 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 21 2018, Junio C. Hamano wrote:
>>
>>> A release candidate Git v2.17.0-rc1 is now available for testing
>>> at the usual places.  It is comprised of 493 non-merge commits
>>> since v2.16.0, contributed by 62 people, 19 of which are new faces.
>> I have this deployed on some tens of K machines who all use git in one
>> way or another (from automated pulls, to users interactively), and rc0
>> before that, with a few patches on top from me + Takato + Duy + Derrick
>> since rc0 was released (and since today based on top of rc1). No issues
>> so far.
>>
>> The specific in-house version I have is at:
>> https://github.com/git/git/compare/v2.17.0-rc1...bookingcom:booking-git-v2018-03-23-1
>
> Thanks for testing the commit-graph feature, Ævar! I'm guessing you
> have some mechanisms to ensure the 'git commit-graph write' command is
> run on these machines and 'core.commitGraph' is set to true in the
> config? I would love to hear how this benefits your org.

I haven't deployed any actual use of it at a wider scale, but I've done
some ad-hoc benchmarking with our internal version which has your
patches, and the results are very promising so far on the isolated test
cases where it helps (that you know about, e.g. rev-list --all).

So sorry, I don't have any meaningful testing of this, I just wanted an
easy way to ad-hoc test it & make sure it doesn't break other stuff for
now.

I also threw out most of the manual git maintenance stuff we had and
just rely on gc --auto now, so as soon as you have something to
integrate with that, along with those perf changes Peff suggested I'm
much more likely to play with it in some real way.