Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/8] rebase: introduce the --recreate-merges option

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 07:35:07 +0300

Hi Johannes,
Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> > I'd not argue this way myself. If there are out-of-git-tree non-human
>> > users that accept and tweak todo _generated_ by current "git rebase -p"
>> > _command_, I also vote for a new option.
>> >
>> 
>> To be fair, I have not seen anything that actually reads the todo list
>> and tweaks it in such a manner. The closest example is the git garden
>> shears script, which simply replaces the todo list.
>> 
>> It's certainly *possible* that such a script would exist though,
>
> We actually know of such scripts.

Please consider to explain this in the description of the change. I
believe readers deserve an explanation of why you decided to invent new
option instead of fixing the old one, even if it were only a suspicion,
more so if it is confidence.

-- Sergey